October is the National Apple Month. It is the only national, generic apple promotion in the country. National Apple Week started in 1904 and was later expanded to the entire month. The original mission of National Apple Month was to help increase the sales of the apple industry and to enhance people’s awareness and usage of apples and apple-based foods. The promotion of apples was distributed through contests, retail displays, recognizing outstanding apple merchandise retailers, and to develop a stronger relationship among apple retailers, food service employees, and industry members.
Health Benefits of Apples
There is the old saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Apples are rich in antioxidants, which help prevent, and repair oxidation damages during normal cell activity. They are also rich in pectin, a soluble, viscous, and fermentable fiber. Eating apples may support the following health benefits:
- Healthier teeth – Chewing an apple stimulates saliva production, lowering the levels of bacteria in the mouth and reducing the incidence of tooth decay.
- Minimize Alzheimer’s risk – Research has begun to support the theory that apples may fight the effects of aging in the human brain.
- Lowers risk of diabetes – Apples are rich in soluble fibers, which may minimize blood sugar swings that can induce the onset of diabetes.
- Reduces cholesterol levels – The soluble fiber in apples binds with intestinal fats, which may result in a lower cholesterol levels and better cardiovascular health.
- Boosts the immune system – Quercetin in apples is an antioxidant that fortifies and strengthens the immune system, giving the body better ability to fight infection and inflammation.
While eating fresh apples is the best option to get all the nutrients and antioxidants the fruit can bring, there will always be times when a delicious apple may not be readily available. In order to get all the health benefits that apples can provide, there are food supplements that contain the fiber, energy, and nutrition of real, fresh apples:
- Source Naturals Apple Cider Vinegar tablets
- Spicy Apple chewy candy
- Metabolic Nutrition P.S.P. Green Apple
- and wide array of other products that contain apple or apple essences.